Whether you’re in Barcelona or in Sitges there’s amazing places within an hours drive to taste some gorgeous mediterranean wine/cava.
The first region I want to touch on is well know for its white wines/cava’s but there are some amazing reds as well. The Penedes wine region is located between the start of coastal mountains and between the Mediterranean sea. The Penedes wine region is revered as the second most important wine region, after La Rioja. Here are a few great winery’s just 15-20 minutes outside of Sitges and 30-40 mins from Barcelona.
- Emendis Estate Wines and Cavas – An amazing family run winery that prides its traditional work methods passed down over the generations. This winery is one of our favourites
- Albet i Noya – One of the pioneers in Ecological growing and always winning medals for its gorgeous wine.
- Torres Winery - synonymous with wine around the world.. but it all started here in the Penedes 3 centuries ago!
With those 3 options, you’ve scrached just the surface with dozens of great wineries in the Penedes D.O. region.
Another region which I personally think is amazing understated wine… no frills or gimmicks… just amazing wine.
The Priorat wine region was “Once known for its oxidized and highly alcoholic” wine has done a 180 and made it one of the worlds best wine regions (depending on who you talk to). I love their reds, full of body and get better and better the more it breathes. Here are a few that if you’re in Sitges or Barcelona… go give them a try!
- Costers Del Siurana – Their 1989 vintage was given an 18/20 and voted one of the best wines in the world!
- Clos Dominic – a great Catalan couple making wine the way it should be; by hand from start to finish.
- Capafons-Osso Winery – Organic growing out of the great slate soil which produces small amounts of that great tasting juice!
I know we all don’t know a lot about wines or maybe you do, but we know a great wine tour company that gives you the insider tours that most wine tours don’t.
There you have it… your mini wine guide … I’m sure you’ll be on the beach and not always at the winery so check out www.sitgesholidayaccommodation.com for your wine tour apartment or villa.